A HISTORY RESOURCE FOR WOLVERTON AND DISTRICT
Mainly Wolverton, Bradwell and Stantonbury, Stony Stratford and Calverton
The church of St Peter at Stanton Low is now a complete ruin but it was still intact within living memory. It was very old and very small. It is probable that the chancel, the smaller part, was the original church and it appears that the nave was added circa 1150. Various alterations were made to the church over its history but the 12th century features remained.
Here is a watercolour by the artist John Piper (1903-1992). Piper was well known in his lifetime and had a special interest in churches. He designed the great stained glass window in the new Coventry Cathedral. It is somewhat surprising that this rather humble out-of-the-way church captured his attention. It is the property of the V&A Museum. The photograph to the right dates to the early 20th century.
Both these views are from the south side. The chancel on the east side, measuring internally 29' 4" by 13' 3", was probably the original church. The nave, measuring 25' 6" by 18', was an early 12th century addition, although it was apparently 10 feet longer at one time. There is also evidence of another chapel on the south side. The modifications may date from the 15th century.
The east window is 14th century but the arch joining the two parts of the church, decorated with chevrons dates from 1150. This was removed to St James, New Bradwell after the roof of St Peters fell in in 1956. The gothic arch you can see in the picture was probably added in the 14th century to strengthen the arch. Once the arch was removed, together with the roof, the walls quickly became a ruin. The last photo shows the old church as it is today.
Much of the material used in these pages is under copyright ©. If you wish to use any part of the material presented here, please contact Bryan Dunleavy email@example.com